An influential broadcast media enterprise with a national audience that is headquartered in Washington, DC is looking to engage an experienced, print-focused designer in a freelance assignment that could last up to four months. This is an on-site assignment. We will not be considering individuals who only want to work from home.
At the time that we are launching this job posting the employer is still working to determine whether they need a full-time commitment of up to 40 hours/week, or if a part-time commitment closer to 24 hours/week will be sufficient. We are posting separate job announcements for the two roles (even though only one position will be filled), as we understand that some potentially well qualified applicants might be only be available to work up to 24 hours/week and others might be interested in either the part-time commitment or a full-time commitment.
The Senior Designer will work with the organization's Creative Director for Marketing & Branding and other designers and writers, and will play an essential role in developing the creative strategy, conception, and execution of creative marketing ideas. S/he will ensure that art direction and design are in line with the organization's brand and strategy when developing any of the following: multi-channel campaigns, transit, print, digital advertising, corporate identity, brand development, paid and unpaid social media content.
The person in this role must also be able to excel as an organizational brand steward, ensuring that the organization's main brand and key sub-brand guidelines are clearly articulated so that key stakeholders can understand best uses in-market.
Brainstorm Creative Resources has worked with the organization's Creative Director for Marketing & Branding for nearly ten years on a wide variety of recruiting and staffing projects.
- Execute original, conceptual, and compelling work from big idea/concept to final creation—independently or in partnership with other members of the team
- Able to work independently as needed on design and creative projects with limited creative oversight
- Partners with copywriter to provide small and large scale creative solutions that meet and exceed the requirements of creative briefs
- Collaborates/supervises creative work by external agencies and other creative partners to ensure proper brand representation and creative quality
- Maintains, shapes, and expands the organization's brand and its brand experiences
- Collaborates with other teams within marketing and the organization to ensure a positive brand experience
- Participates/leads presentations of creative work to internal colleagues and stakeholders
- Participates in cross-departmental brainstorms and/or helps shapes creative ideas/initiatives
- Consistently delivers high quality work that meets business objectives
HOURS / LOCATION / OTHER OPPORTUNITIES WITH THIS EMPLOYER:
The employer discussed in this job posting is not sure yet whether they will be asking the Senior Designer for a full-time commitment or part-time commitment. For this reason we have posted two job postings that are exactly the same, aside from the fact that one is for individuals who can only work PART-TIME (24 hours/week) an one is for individuals who can offer a FULL-TIME commitment (up to 40 hours/week). You are welcome to apply for both opportunities if you are truly open to exploring both. We are only interested in receiving applications from locally-based (DC, MD, VA) individuals who are can work on-site in downtown Washington, DC.
Brainstorm Creative Resources is offering a pay rate of between $40/hour and $45/hour. While our job description indicates a minimum of six-years of experience are required, we are interested in hearing from truly talented individuals who might be considered appropriately qualified regardless of level of experience.
The actual rate offered will be commensurate with experience and market norms. Brainstorm Creative Resources strives to pay competitively. However, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that we will be able to pay early career applicants at the top of the stated salary range. More experienced and appropriately qualified design professionals can expect that we will make a strong case to our client, to pay you at the top of the range.
Position Reports To:
- BA or BFA in Art, Design, or Marketing. MA or MFA in related field preferred
- 6+ years of industry experience
- Possess a strong and conceptual portfolio of work that demonstrates impeccable design skills including composition and typography, within a variety of multi-channel campaigns and brand expressions
- Solid knowledge of steps required for different creative assignments
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, basic (even tertiary) knowledge of HTML 5 + CSS 3 and an understanding of mobile design
- Hand-lettering, illustration, and photography skills as well as photo retouching preferred
- Ability to understand client needs and present work to stakeholders
- Ability to solve creative problems cost-effectively and in tight deadlines
- Experience in developing campaigns for multicultural audiences
- Remain current on visual design techniques and technologies
- Capable of conceptualizing and collaborating on multiple campaigns and projects in parallel, on time and on budget
- Exceptional and flexible design aesthetic
- Excellent knowledge of typographic principles
- Practical experience working with print vendors and digital agencies/departments
- Strong organizational skills and extreme attention to detail
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Proven ability to effectively work in a team of diverse individuals
How to Apply:
Brainstorm Creative Resources is a recruiting and staffing firm that has been focused on placing creative and editorial professionals into freelance and full-time positions with Washington, DC-area employers since 2003. We are recruiting for this position at the request of our client, the hiring organization.
If you are reading this job description elsewhere please visit us at http://www.brainstormresources.com.
Within our website you can click anywhere you see the "Find Work" buttons or text to view all currently open positions. Please follow these steps when youapply:
- Closely read the complete job description to ensure that you are a terrific fit for the opportunity."
- If you are a returning applicant please enter your e-mail address and password, and then add the opportunity to your "My Jobs" list.
- If you have not applied with Brainstorm previously, click the "Apply For This Position" button.
- During the application process please make sure to: Provide all details requested as you are completing your personal profile (including links to sample work online), Upload a resume and cover letter.
We expect all interested parties to support their application and salary request with a cover letter that clearly indicates their fitness for the position. Only candidates currently residing within a commutable distance of Alexandria, VA should apply. Applicants not currently living in Washington, DC, Maryland or Virginia, or who inquire without a cover letter, resume and/or work samples should not expect to receive a response. Brainstorm Creative Resources and the hiring organization are EEO employers.